The brain needs movement to change. The brain also needs to be fueled with proper nutrition to create the optimal environment for change. We recommend all of our clients remove inflammatory foods, while eating an abundance of foods that nourish the gut & brain.
The best approach to dietary change is to include pro-healing foods and reduce inflammatory foods. We recommend eating a diet rich in home-cooked/cut, organic foods naturally gluten-free/dairy-free diet with brain-healthy fats with an abundance of fruits, vegetables, leafy greens, and healing herbs.
We know that fewer than 1 in 10 adults & children eat the recommended number of fruits and vegetables daily. We are a nation of individuals who are over-fed and under-nourished. Lack of phytonutrients and fiber from fruits, vegetables, and leafy greens leads to chronic illness and disease.
Many of our children with autism, ADHD, sensory processing disorder, and developmental delays have sensitivities to specific foods. We commonly see symptoms related to these sensitivities that are written off as behavioral. Does your child have any of the following?
- inattention/spacey behavior
- high pain tolerance
- decreased body awareness
- skin conditions (eczema, rashes, etc)
- frequent upper respiratory issues
- digestion issues (constipation, diarrhea)
- addiction to foods (usually “white” foods)
- poor eye contact
If your child demonstrates any of these symptoms they would benefit from dietary changes. Adults symptoms are similar but typically can be seen more with digestion troubles, sleep disturbances, and energy lulls. Constipation and/or diarrhea, gas, and bloating are simple signs that you would benefit from a nutritional change.
Beyond my passion for helping coach parents to see significant changes in their child’s development, I am equally as passionate about helping moms of special needs kiddos regain their wellness & vitality. As a special needs parent myself I understand what it’s like to be stressed, anxious, depressed, and not motivated to take care of myself. I’ve uncovered simple ways to live a life filled with vitality and energy….and it starts with nutrition and movement. There are three very important reasons why WE need to have a wellness reset and create vitality that starts with nutrition:
- Our gut health directly affects our mood and energy. Over 90% of our serotonin (feel good hormone) is housed in our gut. If we do not feed it healthy, nutritious foods we will be more apt to anxiety, depression, and not feeling good.
- We need to be healthy and well to take care of our children and to be an example. I know what its like to carry around a child that is too big to be carried – or chase after a child that will not listen. We need to be fit and healthy in order to manage the life of a special needs child.
- The bacteria in our microbiome directly effects the microbiome of our children. If your child has poor digestion and gut health, your gut microbiome could be part of the reason. Our microbiome is affected by the people we touch, hug, and kiss. Bacteria is transferred between people. So if you want your child’s gut heath to improve, you must improve yours.
The Shred10 focus is simple: helping families increase their intake of fruits, vegetables, leafy greens, and whole foods. The benefits of these foods go beyond any dietary restriction or preference you have, and are important for proper fueling of the brain and detoxing the body. The most profound benefits of increasing the number of whole foods include:
- the added fiber helps to flush toxins from the body
- phytonutrients help prevent heart disease and other chronic illness
- phytonutrients decrease inflammation & oxidative stress
- improved blood flow to the brain and body
- improved digestion and gut health
Ditching inflammatory foods and eating an abundance of healing foods is best for brain health. Here are a few simple guidelines to follow:
- eliminate gluten
- eliminate dairy
- reduce caffeine intake
- reduce alcohol intake
- reduce eating after dinner
- reduce or eliminate processed foods
- reduce or eliminate sugar
- add in more leafy greens and vegetables
- eat mostly real foods
If this sounds like a lot and you need support, consider joining our Shred10: 10 Day Detox. We host a group reset monthly, starting on the 1st Monday of a full week each month; but don’t wait — you can join anytime! Our program, nicknamed Shred 10 — 10 days to “shred” bad habits and toxins, guides you through the above nutritional changes and lifestyle factors that make a positive impact on brain health. Moving towards an anti-inflammatory, nutrient-abundant diet is great for the entire family! Join us and you’ll receive:
- 5 cookbooks filled with plant-rich recipes
- 3 cookbooks filled with smoothie & snack ideas
- Community support through our private FB group
- Bonus pilates workouts for added core strength and movement
- Healthy dessert & mocktail recipes
- 1-on-1 support with daily text check-ins
- Results such as better sleep, better mood, glowing skin, more energy, and that is just the beginning!
This wonderful video by Dr. Tamara Sachs, M.D. explains exactly why we all need to detox on a regular basis.