The brain needs movement to change. The brain also needs to be fueled with proper nutrition to create the optimal environment for change. We recommend all of our clients remove inflammatory foods, while eating an abundance of foods that nourish the gut & brain.
The best approach to dietary change is to include pro-healing foods and reduce inflammatory foods. We recommend eating a diet rich in home-cooked/cut, organic foods naturally gluten-free/dairy-free diet with brain-healthy fats with an abundance of fruits, vegetables, leafy greens, and healing herbs.
We know that fewer than 1 in 10 adults & children do not eat the recommended number of fruits and vegetables daily. We are a nation of individuals who are over-fed and under-nourished. Lack of micronutrients from fruits, vegetables, and leafy greens leads to chronic illness and disease.
Many of our children with autism, ADHD, sensory processing disorder, and developmental delays have sensitivities to specific foods. We commonly see symptoms related to these sensitivities that are written off as behavioral. Does your child have any of the following?
- inattention/spacey behavior
- high pain tolerance
- decreased body awareness
- skin conditions (eczema, rashes, etc)
- frequent upper respiratory issues
- digestion issues (constipation, diarrhea)
- addiction to foods (usually “white” foods)
- poor eye contact
If your child demonstrates any of these symptoms they would benefit from dietary changes. Adults symptoms are similar but typically can be seen more with digestion troubles, sleep disturbances, and energy lulls. Constipation and/or diarrhea, gas, and bloating are simple signs that you would benefit from a nutritional change.
The Shred10 focus is simple: helping families increase their intake of fruits, vegetables, leafy greens, and whole foods. The benefits of these foods go beyond any dietary restriction or preference you have, and are important for proper fueling of the brain and detoxing the body. The most profound benefits of increasing the number of whole foods include:
- the added fiber helps to flush toxins from the body
- phytonutrients help prevent heart disease and other chronic illness
- phytonutrients decrease inflammation & oxidative stress
- improved blood flow to the brain and body
- improved digestion and gut health
Ditching inflammatory foods and eating an abundance of healing foods is best for brain health. Here are a few simple guidelines to follow:
- eliminate gluten
- eliminate dairy
- reduce caffeine intake
- reduce alcohol intake
- reduce eating after dinner
- reduce or eliminate processed foods
- reduce or eliminate sugar
- add in more leafy greens and vegetables
- eat mostly real foods
If this sounds like a lot and you need support, consider joining our Shred10: 10 Day Detox. We host a group reset bimonthly, starting on the 1st & 3rd Monday of each month. You are welcome to join anytime! Our program, nicknamed Shred 10 — 10 days to “shred” bad habits and toxins, guides you through the above nutritional changes and lifestyle factors that make a positive impact on brain health. Moving towards an anti-inflammatory, nutrient-abundant diet is great for the entire family! Join us and you’ll receive:
- 5 cookbooks filled with plant-rich recipes
- 3 cookbooks filled with smoothie & snack ideas
- Community support through our private FB group
- Healthy dessert & mocktail recipes
- 1-on-1 support with daily text check-ins
- Results such as better sleep, better mood, glowing skin, more energy, and that is just the beginning!